Le Journal d’Art is recruiting a Financial Manager
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Finance Director who will support and lead the finance function of the business in the UK and US offices (together with a local accounting firm). Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CFO will maintain the group’s finance function and work with department heads to improve and maintain the company’s financial performance. The role is full-time and based in the London office.
Key responsibilities will include budget implementation, variance analysis, monthly management reports, accounts payable, expenses, payroll and cash flow management.
Specific tasks and responsibilities:
- Year-end reporting – Ensure timely year-end close and oversee the preparation of statutory accounts and tax returns
- Month-End Reporting – Ensure timely month-end close, including preparation and posting of journals; Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations and ensure the general ledger is accurate and reconciled
- Budgets and forecasts – Prepare cash forecasts, annual budgets and quarterly forecasts
- Accounts Payable/Receivables – Review Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable reports and take necessary actions to maintain debtor/creditor days; Ensure a robust credit control system is in place
- Payroll and Pensions – Prepare payroll and staff payments; Prepare sales commissions; Submit the FPS report and relevant year-end reports to HMRC; Submit pension reports and pension control account reconciliation
- Expense Management – Review staff expense claims and freelancer payment: review credit card reconciliation;
- VAT returns – Review and submit quarterly VAT returns; Prepare IOSS VAT returns and submit them through third party service providers
- Annual R&D tax claims – Liaise with third party service providers and provide all relevant information for R&D tax claims
- Inter-company reconciliations – Reconcile commissions between group companies; maintain records of royalty/license payments
Essential requirements for the role
- Professionally partially/fully qualified accountant (ACCA, CIMA) with experience in UK GAAP/IFRS
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a senior accounting position
- Experienced user of Xero financial software (or similar)
- A good knowledge of the French business language is a plus but not essential
- Self-starter, well organized, with great attention to detail and a good work ethic
- Experience managing small teams
- Analytical mind
- Good interpersonal skills, communicating in a calm and common-sense manner, to work harmoniously and effectively with others
What we offer
- Salary range £45,000 – 50,000 depending on qualifications and experience
- Knowledge base support from professional accounting firms in the UK and US
- BUPA health insurance (subject to pre-existing conditions)
- Flexible working potential
- company pension
- Cycle-work program
This is a full time position based in London. Interested candidates should send a resume with a cover email with “Finance Manager” in the subject line explaining your suitability for the position to [email protected]
The Art Newspaper is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a fair workforce and promoting skilled individuals without regard to race, sex, color, ethnic origin, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and others who are underrepresented in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified candidate pool.
About the Art Journal
For over 30 years, The Art Newspaper has covered the art world and the world in which art occurs. We write about all the latest developments, but also analyze the most significant events and trends, examining how the international art and culture landscape shapes – and is shaped – by politics, society, economics , technology and the environment.
We serve an international audience, providing multi-channel access to breaking news, agenda surveys and thought-provoking ideas and opinions from around the world.
With correspondents working in over 30 countries, our expert and independent reports make us the most trusted resource for the art industry as well as collectors, art advisers, policy makers, artists, professionals museums and those who like to visit art fairs and exhibitions. The Art Newspaper benefits from being part of an international network of titles with editorial offices in London, New York, Paris, Turin, Athens, Moscow and Shanghai.